| || |
| || | Joy Katzen-Guthrie ... Accolades and Accolades
A Small Sampling
- "Joy, We have had so many glowing comments about your program and people saying they wanted to visit your website to learn more about your work. Your presentation and singing succeeded both in bringing back memories and tears, as we were reminded of the major influence Jewish composers and lyricists have had in America's musical history. I am well aware of the sacrifice you made, Joy, to insert this performance into your hectic schedule and to travel so far. We loved having you and hope that it works out sometime for you to share a travel program or a program of reflective/meditative music." ~Sharon Berman and the members of our Executive Board, WRJ-Temple Israel Sisterhood, Memphis, TN
- "Joy is well named ... her music, her personality, her entire presence brings joy and happiness to those who are privileged to share her company. When our congregation knew that Joy would be joining us, there wasn't an empty seat in the shul! Each experience with Joy, every service where she sang, was a journey filled with Yiddishkeit, warmth and love. Joy Katzen-Guthrie is a consummate performer, but more than that, she is a person with exquisite talent, dedication and character. When I hear her voice and, maybe more so, when I share an experience with her, Joy never fails to touch my heart." ~Rabbi Barbara Aiello, Synagogue Ner Tamid del Sud, Serrastretta, Italy
- "Oh, Joy, Joy, Joy! Thank you so much. You must have noticed how raptured I was at the Rag concert. I love music of all sorts. I'll come to all of your programs. Looking forward to the next one. Sincerely, Nancy McKay
- "You were wonderful yesterday…the class all went home intent on reading Edna Ferber again. My friend, Nancy, immediately pulled out her Kindle to see if there were any downloads. Just got an email from one of my students who grew up in St. Louis and just read Showboat for the first time. She loved seeing it as a kid in summer theater and loved the Mississippi so she was so glad you came to class. So many of the students started reading Ferber. I just pulled up Fanny Herself for free on iBooks and am loving it…so…thanks again for being such a fine teacher…I hope our paths cross again….Beth Ann Salzman, Argosy University, Sarasota
- "Our bookstore manager LOVES your music. I haven't gotten a CD yet from her. She is determined to hear all of them!" ~Shay St. John, Minister, Unity Church of North Houston
- "Hi Joy, Thank you again for helping to make the past mini sesion such a success and for the wonderful classes that you presented to our group. They were enthusiastically received and the comments I got were glowing. Because of lecturers such as yourself, Grand Edventures programs are becoming more and more popular. I look forward to working with you again. ~Dave Schwack, Grand Edventures Educational Travel, Deerfield Beach, FL
- "Thank you for your music last night at the Pajama Jam session. Beautiful light and energy .... You have a beautiful presence and voice that touches the heart and soul! So glad to have heard and met you." ~Jamie Sanders, Minister, Unity of Pensacola
- "Joy, Thank you again for all your help putting the show together. You have been a great communicator, and, your beautiful accompaniment is so much appreciated. I'm sure we will work together again the near future, and I look forward to it!" Sincerely, Sam Port, New York
- "WOW...Joy, I always love to hear you sing and play at Unity. It is always such a "kvelling"--like an internal spiritual shower. aaaahhhh. But you and everyone else absolutely OUTDID yourselves today. Absolutely awesome. The kvell factor was at warp intensity." ~Lewis Fishman, Palm Harbor, FL"
- "One of the most versatile, inspiring and gifted musicians it has been our pleasure to know ... a powerful and creative songwriter, an inspired accomplished performer, an articulate speaker, and a knowledgeable person on many subjects ... Her rich voice and musical skill on the keyboard and delightful presence combine to be a blessing to all who hear her." ~Rev.'s Bob & Ruth Fatur, Unity Center For Today, Tampa
- "Joy, I just wanted to tell you again how much I enjoyed doing the show with you. I don’t know if the audience realized how integral you were to the success of the production. But it’s kind of like music in a movie----people don’t realize that’s why they’re enjoying the movie so much, but it’s because of the music. You are such an incredible musician, with an ear that is equally as talented as your hands are. How you were able to create an entire score from a diverse group of individuals, some of whom came with nothing more than a recording of the song they wanted to do, is simply amazing. And you were invaluable to me, in helping to make each number look better. We did it! And couldn’t have without you." ~David Glickman, CSP, Humor Advantage, Tampa
- "Joy, thank you for the delightful performance at Menorah Manor. The residents loved it and so did I! I wish my photos could have captured the finger drumming, toe tapping and swaying to the music! You really connected with the audience. I loved seeing the residents participate by singing songs, tapping their feet and remembering the music. I asked one woman what the music made her think about. She told me, 'It made me remember when I was young.' I would have loved to speak to more of them and find out where they were or what they were doing during certain songs and what their memories of them were. It was a terrific afternoon and I enjoyed it as much as they did!" ~Marilyn Warner, Menorah Manor, St. Petersburg
- "Joy's wonderful music and radiating personality are both playing an important part in increasing peace and harmony in the world." ~Rabbi Dr. Avraham Abrahami, London
- "Just wanted to thank you for sharing your beautiful music with us. Your talent is awe-inspiring! Perhaps someday we will have an opportunity to play together. May blessings and beautiful music fill your life!" ~Denise Isaacson, Director of Music, Unity Truth Center, Port Richey, FL
- “The title of Joy's website says everything that she is. Joyful Noise describes the type of sound that you can expect to get from this rare recording artist. She is the type of of artist who can inspire a person to have a better day just by hearing her ... Her lyrics are heartfelt and take you to places you'd never think you would go to ... Her music makes the world a better place.” ~Elton Cannon, Corporate Sales Representative, Borders Books & Music
- "Our congregation gets very excited each time they hear Joy will be with us again. All her presentations are unique and suited to the occasion ... She shared the history of Judaism with lively music and intriguing stories ... She is a marvel at the piano. She has a beautiful voice and a bubbly, energetic personality. Her presentations are honed to perfection with a spirit of love, enthusiasm and humor and delivered in a masterful way. Joy is truly a gifted musician and speaker. What more can I say? Joy is a joy!" ~ Elsie L. Huebner, Spiritual Leader, Unity Community Church, Dunedin, FL
- "Hi Joy, It was nice to meet you face to face today after all our emails. I just wanted to let you know that your program today [I Love New York) was pure “joy”! It was absolutely amazing. I don’t know about anyone else, but I thoroughly enjoyed it….especially since I just returned from a wonderful weekend in NYC….doing most of the things you mentioned. The Immigrant Museum is awesome, especially the tour we took. I’ve been going to NYC since I was 12 years old, and you really took me on a trip down memory lane. I’ve attended many of your programs, but I must say today’s was outstanding. Thanks so much and I’ll look forward to many more in the future. With best wishes, Phyllis Silverstein"
- "I've so enjoyed your beautiful voice and music on youtube recently! Inspirational!" ~Catherine Rogers Jonsson
- "Thank you for the beautiful job with music yesterday. Your joyful, peaceful presence as well as your musical gifts always bless us richly!" ~Rev. Virginia Walsh, New Life Unity Church, Tampa
- Joy, I promised you at the Posi Award weekend that I would let you know how I liked the I Bless My Body CD. I LOVE IT so much....... next week I will be calling to order 3 more. Thank you for sharing your talents with us." ~Debbie DeCerbo
- "Joy, Thank you so much for your beautiful HEALING MUSIC. I so enjoyed it. You are truly a blessing!" ~ Bonnie Lynd Lefkof, Jazz Concert & Recording Artist, Tampa
- "The winter session is just about half over and I want to thank you for your very valuable contribution to Elderhostel. Your talent as both a teacher and performer is noticed, appreciated, and greatly responsible for the success of our programs. Again, many thanks!" ~Cheryl Gold, Eckerd College Elderhostel Program Director, St. Petersburg, FL
- "Joy Katzen-Guthrie has the kind of talent and skill that positive music needs. She brings such joy and finesse to her work, I always feel so good listening to her songs. I am grateful to have met her, she is a light for creative brilliance with class in a growing music industry." ~Lisa Firestone, Singer/Songwriter/Unity Music Director, Orlando
- "On behalf of Newcomers, I would like to thank you so much for entertaining our group. We were packed in like sardines, but that didn't stop us from thoroughly enjoying your program. We've had wonderful feedback from everyone at the luncheon and they found your selection of songs uplifting and positive - and fun!" Yours truly, Jackie Hawley, Secretary, Tampa Newcomers
- "Thank you so very much for a most entertaining and enjoyable program. The ladies are still talking about what fun the afternoon was with your wonderful program. Please be assured that you will be called again to entertain Tampa Bay's Newcomers." ~Yours in delight, Arlene Berkowitz
- "After reading your portfolio, may I travel with you in the trunk of your car as excess baggage? Oh the beauty of your concerts! My favorite CD is "THE HEART OF ANCIENT PROMISE." I suddenly come to life when I hear it. Oh what JOY you and your very special gift bring to all who see and hear you! Jean Silver
- "Thank you, thank you! Please know that I and everyone else were spellbound with your stories and vocals. You give songs a voice and a history. I know you will be asked back. Your CD that has My Yiddishe Mame is my mother's favorite now." ~Harriet Seckel, Chanukkah Committee Chair, Jewish Congregation of Sun City Center, Florida
- "I am so pleased to receive the Joy CD and delighted for Vol. 2. So thank you!! I'm especially pleased - as a mid-westerner - to hear On the Banks of the Wabash on Vol. 2!! But the thing that made me the most happy was to see your autograph on the title page ... to see the lovely message you included really made my day! Thanks again for your prompt and generous response." ~Dorothy Urquhart, New York
- "Everyone at our meeting of Michigan Educators enjoyed your presentation last Tuesday. Of course we recognized most of the composers and lyricsts and appreciated hearing their songs and learning more about their private lives. Your program of representative songs of love, including your own compositions, let us applaud your musical talents and hope to hear you sing again." ~Sincerely, Frances P. Lund, MARSP Secretary, St. Petersburg
- "We so enjoyed your musical program last week. We met new renters in our complex who were so impressed with the program and your musical knowledge. What a treat for first time visitors. My husband Allen & I attend all of your musical presentations but finally want to thank you and express our appreciation for your talents." Sincerely, Dorothy & Allen Redmond
- "Her words are uplifting and inspiring ... She is truly a gifted musician and a wonderful example of what spirituality and faith can mean in the 21st century." ~Weekly Planet Magazine Critic's Choice, Best Religious Music, Best of the Bay 2000
- "Oh, Joy, I am listening to your singing/piano on Favorite Melody, Vol. 1. You are sooooooooo talented and your voice is heavenly. What a range and it expresses such emotion! Your voice is mellow and easy to listen to. It's very relaxing and calming." ~Claudia Ann Sodaro, composer/pianist
- "On New Years Eve, you were a joy for our guests, including those who after the delightful recital, clustered around your piano for a spontaneous sing-along. And you were a joy for us to work with - very organized, flexible, creative, and talented. I speak for the full host committee in expressing thanks for the contribution of your program to a most enjoyable start of the year. We look forward to working with you in the future." "Once again, you added much joy to our celebration of the New Year. Your singing is delightful and your patter builds into a wonderful story. If you are not tired of us, we're sure not tired of you and hope you will pencil in next year for our most appreciative guests." "From several other New Years Eves, we know your talent and charm. For this last party, we not only enjoyed all of that, but this time you added wonderful flexibility and creativity. Because we experimented with some different formats, you had to adapt quickly, and by so doing added importantly to the enjoyment of the evening. We hope you will reserve next years New Years Eve for us. As the tradition of this event takes hold, our friends look forward to it, and they frequently mention your music as one of the reasons we have so much fun." "As always, Joy, you brought musical delight to our New Years Eve celebration. Your narrative accompanying songs of our country's history added a special dimension to the ushering in of 2009. With all of our country's challenges, it was comforting and stimulating to hear the melodies that cheered earlier generations. It's early to think about 2010, but we hope you keep the calendar clear because you have become an integral part of a happy new year tradition. From our team, best wishes for a happy, healthy, song-filled new year." ~William & Marjorie Sandy, Longboat Key
- "We just saw and heard you perform. It was something to behold … We are both sitting here with tears of joy in our eyes!" ~Marshall & Beth Arkin, Homosassa, Florida
- "Thank you so much for an unforgettable performance ... Your singing and piano playing was so enjoyable that we hoped the performance would never end. Keep entertaining others as you have entertained us. Hoping to see you here again." ~The Mameloshen Committee of Willow Bend, Greater Palm Beach Area, Florida
- "On behalf of the AAUW/Clearwater Branch, as co-secretary, I would like to thank you for the extra "joy" you brought to our Annual Holiday Luncheon with your wonderful program of songs and stories. The inclusion of different cultures and belief systems was greatly appreciated and informative, and aligns with the values of the AAUW. Again, thank you." ~Sincerely, Sherry Smith, Co-Secretary, AAUW/Clearwater
- "It is wisdom delivered by a confident voice that makes this album such a proud, professional triumph ... The music here is full of personal revelation and celebratory wonder... Free of angst, minus preachy platitudes, Katzen-Guthrie manages what so few singers do to make you feel hopeful without being weighed down by sickly sentiment. She sings her anthems softly, mixed in with groovy guitars, cool cellos, and all sorts of other instruments, showcasing a voice that has rare sing-a-long quality ... She can kick it up and lay it down ... Now the question is: Where's that major label record contract?" ~Jennifer Barrs, Tampa Tribune
- "Joy is a marvel on the keyboard, making her playing seem effortless. Her compositions, as well as the adaptations of others' songs, reflect the summation that it is her life. When she sits down at the keyboard, starts playing, smiles that warm smile of hers and sings to your heart, well it's just inspirational! Her stories of life and love are fulfilling to all who listen." ~Donna Klein, President, Women Musicians' Alliance, Clearwater, FL
- "Singer-composer-keyboardist Joy Katzen-Guthrie has a gift... Her voice is expressive and moving, flexible and powerful. As a songwriter, her songs bear the mark of craftsmanship. The songs shine..." ~Rex Havok, Jam Entertainment Magazine
- "A potent, tender, supple, and remarkable voice ..." ~Eileen Raymond, Bay Area Connection
- "Florida resident Joy Katzen-Guthrie has a wonderful singing voice, light and joyous, and she performs an unusual program of original inspirational music in her latest CD, Passages. The album is well-paced and the songs are unerring in their uplifting messages … She's unquestionably ready to reach out to a bigger audience." ~Bob Powers, G21 PowerSound Magazine
- 2009-2010 Eckerd College Osher Institute Life Long Learning Student Evaluations of Edna Ferber ... Magic or Madness?, featuring Joy Katzen-Guthrie's dramatization of Edna Ferber by St. Petersburg Playwright Jan Taylor: "Excellent! Three Cheers! Well Presented! Bravo!" "A great unusual experience." "Just outstanding. Thank you! What a treat!" "Fantastic. A Great presentation." "How clever and creative! Jan & Joy make a great team!" "Outstanding!" "Joy should do more acting ... She was great. The writer is obviously very talented." "Both Joy and Jan were excellent - in text as well as production. Could make a good Broadway show." "A terrific presentation." "Excellent performance. Good writing, Edna Ferber well done!" "GREAT!” “This was superb. new, fresh, inventive and thought provoking. Hope to see more of their collaboration." "A charming presentation, very enjoyable. Read her books 50 years ago - Now I'm going right up to the Largo Library and reread her books!!" "The visual display was so very eye catching - it caught your attention as soon as you walked in. Her presentation was just marvelous and such a delightful change. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING! Great use of record & film." "Fine performance! Joy is developing well as actress!" "This was absolutely wonderful." "This presentation was outstanding - well worth repeating." "Beautifully presented. A different way of telling a biography!! Such talented people - Jan Taylor & Ms. Katzen-Guthrie.” “Excellent!" "Yahoo to Joy and to Jan. A job well done by both actress and author." "Wonderful!" "Bravo, Joy!" "Excellent script and delivery as well as content. - Bravo!" "This was wonderful. More of this please." "Absolutely wonderful presentation of Edna Ferber." "This is a MUST for the fall catalog!" "Please repeat in Winter session 2010 so our snowbirds will be back." "Now I can hardly wait to read more! Entertaining, educational, theatrical. Kept my attention. Good acting. Enjoyed the performance." "She (Joy Katzen-Guthrie) is an absolute delight! How I wish more sessions were done in this unique style. Excellent." "We always enjoy Joy's classes and presentations. This one was excellent!" "Excellent." "Very fun -- and educational." "This was wonderfully done! Excellent!" "Really brought Edna Ferber to life. Enlightening and entertaining. Thank you." "Wonderful presentation." "Very well done bio of a lady of whom I have always been interested." "Outstanding." "I learned a lot." "Joy presents a very fluid and insightful portrayal of Ferber's work and her viewpoints on American society. I am excited about reading Ferber's novels now that I know her mindset. Joy is very knowledgeable and interesting." "Joy is always a delight to listen to." "Very confident stage presence." "Really interesting! Very informative." "Terrific presentation." Average rating 5 out of possible 5.
- 2003-2012 University of South Florida and Eckerd College Osher Institute Life Long Learning Student Evaluations (These are just a few comments from numerous concerts and classes): "Wish class was longer! It was very good! Thank you." "Marvelous!" "MORE PLEASE!" "Lively, fascinating, and most enjoyable." "A tremendous learning experience!" "A great presentation extremely well prepared. A real treat." "Definitely our best presenter." "What a wonderful afternoon for Broadway lovers!" "Joy is a fantastic speaker!" "Joy is always exceptional and memorable." "Could not be improved - outstanding." "'She is so good!" "Tremendous communicator." "Joy's presentations are always excellent!" "Brought back happy memories, a 'useful' bonus." "Excellent series. I especially like that Joy provides references for further study/entertainment." "Joy is a "Joy." She is very detailed with her presentations of the Broadway shows. She has a delightful sense of humor and a beautiful laugh. Her diction is perfect." "As her name implies, her classes are a joy. She has so much to share with us ... she's always open to questions and exchanges." "Joy is always a delight!" "Fine presentation." "Always super." "Another outstanding presentation." "Amazing selection of movie clips." "Always enjoy Joy's presentations." "Great as always." "She belts them out with love." "Greatest strength is that she seemed to enjoy it as much as we did." "She's the best!" "She is very personable and sings beautifully as well." "No way we can beat Joy's in-depth presentations. She keeps us all spellbound." "Great indepth overview of stars and dances. I loved it." "Wonderful experience. Thank you." "Always and excellent lecturer and so knowledgeable." "Perfect! Wonderful. easy manner, knows her subject, talented." "her approach to each song & the writers & lyrics were wonderful. Incredible memory; liked the playing and intimate singing; good organization." "Joy enunciated every word clearly - all lyrics and explanations - a real treat! Her clear, concise speech and singing made the course most enjoyable for these 84-year-old ears." "I have never been disappointed with any class of Joy's I've attended. How informative and delightful. How fortunate we are to have them. Her knowledge and love for music and musicians is awesome." "Knowledgeable instructor. Impressed with her knowledge. It brought back wonderful memories." "Loved seeing the multimedia. Informative and entertaining." "A wonderful, informative presentation, and interesting." "Joy is always wonderful! A Charming and superbly gifted musician." "Very interesting and funny class! Joy is her usual well prepared person." "Delightful material and presenter." "One of OLLI's best and enthusiastic teacher." "Always finds interesting and obscure videos." "Joy is excellent. Let us have more bios presented by her." "Excellent as always." "Instructor is always very enthusiastic and well versed in any subject she presents. Always enjoyable." "Joy is always a delight. This brought back lots of childhood memories." "Another great bio by Joy." "Just great." "As always, the presented did a superb job. It was great!" "So well presented. Such a lovely, articulate soothing voice. Could understand every word." "Joy Katzen-Guthrie's presentation was excellent." "Very fine presentation - as always. Joy is excellent." "Always interesting and informative." "Joy is pure joy. Her bio series are very well researched and presented in a great manner." "Joy is great! Very organized. Beautifully done." "Joy is a very special class leader. Please thank her for us!" "Very romantic and emotional. Instructor, as always, was very well prepared." "Loved all of it - integration of music, history, and biography of the composers, and the professional performance!" "Considerable knowledge imparted along with the music. I just LOVE the old songs and I really learned about our great songwriters and lyricists." "The instructor was so informative and knowledgeable and her playing and singing were wonderful." "Very talented instructor & songs of my generation. The course was beautifully presented, fascinating history of songwriters & composers you had never heard about before." "Loved everything - particularly Joy's singing & piano playing. Loved hearing familiar music again." "Her diction, manner of delivery and knowledge of the subject are marvelous." "Instructor top notch." "Top flight teaching - a rare experience." "Joy is always a joy. She is precise, great speaker, annunciates beautifully and her words flow. Great command of her subject. Does a super job of research." "The Best! We loved it." "The instructor, the pace, and he knowledge of the genre that she expressed brought back great memories. I learned about composers I wasn't well aware of." "Brought back memories of my youth." "Superb as always." "Beautifully prepared. Truly exceptional -- organized, poignant, informative, outstanding." "This was so good I did not want it to end." "She is the BEST! Whatever she does is the BEST" "Joy - Always magnificent!" "Love her classes. Keep coming back, Joy." "Excellent in all respects." "Instructor certainly has depth and width of knowledge. "It was done with such style ..." "One word: TERRIFIC!!" "Joy is the very best. She brings the subject alive." "Great lecturer. Great personality and very knowledgeable about subject, program was excellent." "Joy is such a pleasure and seems to enjoy the class as much as we do." "Loved this lady!" "Joy Katzen-Guthrie - SUPERB." Evaluations of instructor & class content: Average rating 5 out of possible 5.
- 2001-2012 Eckerd College Elderhostel/Road Scholar Student Evaluations, (These are just a few comments from numerous classes and concerts): "Joy was a delight. Sweet, personable. On a scale of 1-10, she’s a 20." "Joy was fantastic!" "Joy was great. She was a fantastic part of the program." "Joy,you were fantastic at Jo-el's - you made the program, without you it would not have been nearly so much fun." "Joy's course was very informative and entertaining. The time just flew by." Top notch, as usual. The instructor is the courses even more than the subject matter." "Joy is absolutely excellent in every way she was my personal favorite." "Wonderfully organized and well presented. The pop music course was fascinating and very informative." "Joy is extremely well organized and announce their goals and the journey to the class to develop a class mindset." "Very personable, interesting and well prepared. The course was interesting and the time for each session seemed to fly by so quickly." "Joy was fabulous! What a gift she has and is to all who are fortunate enough to hear her speak/perform. She is off the chart!" "Joy is a delightful, extremely talented presenter. Her warmth and knowledge are outstanding - her concert was the best!" "Joy was a Joy!" Joy was well prepared and presented material in a varied and interesting manner." "Joy was my favorite. She was very prepared, interesting, had good use of audio-visuals, great speaking voice, very pleasant." "Could have enjoyed the satire segment for the whole week. Joy certainly had enough material." "I could do a week of Joy." "The Twain to Stewart course was the most relevant to present day." "Joy is sensational." Impressive lecturers regarding knowledge and presentation. Joy is sensational. Classes were consistently interesting and commanding of attention." "Joy is fabulous and made the week. She has a very positive attitude, is extremely well prepared and has charm. Her political humor course was wonderful." "Joy was outstanding, wonderful, knowledgeable, organized, and personable." "Joy is marvelous in so many ways. Knowledgeable historical perspective, broad repertoire." "Joy is superb! She is a marvelous teacher, talented musician and singer, excellent communicator." "Joy is especially enjoyable because of her immense talent and delightful personality." "Joy was fabulous! She is good enough to carry an entire Elderhostel program!" "Joy is a master at handling CDs, videos, etc ... she is really smooth." "Knowledgeable, entertaining, passionate about the subject and thorough." "Very talented, spoke eloquently and was very knowledgeable." "Very well grounded in subject matter, presented effectively, and connected well with the group." "Well prepared, vivacious and dynamic." "Joy was outstanding! Wish she could have had at least 10 days to teach her course." "Joy was truly outstanding." "Very good - especially Joy" "Joy was top notch!" "Joy was knowledgable, lively, wonderful mix." "Joy was fantastic!" "'Too marvelous for words.'" "Joy brings so much substance to the subject. She is outstanding at whatever she does." "Excellent audios and visuals. The best adult learning class I have participated to date." "Whatever Joy chooses for a subject - allow her to give the class. She's special." "If this instructor gives another class, I will surely take it." "Wonderful perspective of theatrical evolution, excellent presentations." "A great commentary, not only on beautiful music, but the social currents from 1927 to present. Joy is always professional, fascinating, thorough." "Look forward to taking another course by Joy." "Choice of illustrative material excellent." "Joy - lived up to her name!" "Presented her subject in a fun way. Loved all courses and would recommend them to others. I have learned so much." Evaluations of instructor & class content: Average rating 5 out of possible 5.
- "She truly matches her name with her joyful exuberance and love of music ... Her own impressive and original music continually touches the heart." ~Annie Miller, Program Manager of Eckerd College Elderhostel, St. Petersburg, FL
- "Joy Katzen-Guthrie is a gifted musician who will absolutely astound you with her talent. Listening to her perform and watching how she brings all the elements of music and voice together often leaves me breathless … She puts an energy into her music that can't help but thrill those who are listening. She is a fantastic performer." ~Robert Moffa, Composer/Arranger and Founder, American Ideals Foundation, Inc., Tampa
- "Katzen-Guthrie uses simple, direct language and soothing melodies to describe the complex feelings of found love, lost love, and the growth of spirituality ... Her playing and singing have never sounded stronger or more convincing ..." ~Focus Entertainment Magazine
- "If the idea of tackling 27 Judaic hymns, 16 century Kabbalistic prayers, and medieval metaphysical song/poems, seems like a challenging idea to you, you're not alone. But performance/recording artist Joy Katzen-Guthrie makes the inevitable cultural gap not only tolerable, but downright entrancing. Blessed with a powerfully serene voice, these ancient prayers - backed only by Katzen-Guthrie's lilting harp-like keyboard - possess a simple and beautiful magnificence. The fact that she's willing to de-mystify the language and meaning behind the material in her extensive liner notes makes the endeavor all the more meaningful and enjoyable for the uninitiated." ~Bill Templeton, Jam Entertainment News
- Things are just grand these days for this energetic woman. “I've been blessed in a lot of ways,” she says. Number one is her voice. Strong, rich and full-ranged, she can belt out a Broadway number as easily as a haunting cantorial chant. ~Michelle Bearden, Tampa Tribune
- **** (4 stars) The best among them is The Heart of Ancient Promise, a collection of mostly Yiddish songs that are so charming, so heartfelt, it's enough to make anyone nostalgic - even those born long after the numbers were popular...If you've always wanted to learn Jewish religious songs, but were afraid to ask, buy these recordings and sing along with Joy...her voice couldn't be more lovely. ~Elizabeth Applebaum, Detroit Jewish Jews
Joy Katzen-Guthrie is creator, operator, and web master of this site.
All site content except where otherwise noted ©1999-2017 Katzen and Guthrie Associates, Inc.
Contact Tune-of-the-Century Music® • firstname.lastname@example.org
727-785-4568 (Tampa Bay Area)